Thursday, August 12, 2010

Passo San Boldo


Welcome to Passo San Boldo! This is the top 10% of the mountain referenced in the earlier posting.
If you look closely, you will see a series of 10 tunnels, connected by a single lane road. The tunnels are wide enough for a small European car. Traffic lights (2 of them) are located at the top and bottom of this series of tunnels. When the light is green at the top, the light at the bottom is red so that traffic can only go down the mountain; when, it changes to red at the top (and green at the bottom), cars can come up the mountain. You get the idea.
.
While stopped at the light at the bottom of the tunnels, I was anxiously awaiting the light to change. With the clutch pushed to the floor and the brake firmly pressed, both of my legs were shaking uncontrollably. Although up to this point, I had gotten the car out of first gear only one time, the traffic behind me consisted of only one car. When the light changed, I waved this car around me.
.
Sensing that my life was in the balance, I firmly pulled the emergency brake, pressed the gas pedal to rev the engine, let out the clutch, moved my foot off of the brake pedal, eased off the emergency brake and -- you guessed it -- the car promptly stalled. We drifted backwards a few inches although it felt like miles. We thought that we were going to fall off the edge of the mountain -- to die on our honeymoon! Fortunately, we lived to tell about it. Onward and upward to Gosaldo...

No comments:

Post a Comment